Monday, April 5, 2010

Weekend Sleep Experiments

Sleeping patterns have been changing lately.

Well a little history. For a while now I have been experiencing highly variable sleeping patterns, unless I display effort to sleep regularly.

This consists of going to sleep when I get home immediately. Then waking up at 10:00 – 11:00 pm and then staying up till 2-3am. Then waking up at 7:30 am in the morning for work.

At first it was highly disorienting. Especially waking up with all your lights on and the TV on. Then I usually devoted a day to sleep readjust where I just slept. Gradually I have drifted to a regular sleep period.

Now the stuff I experience on the weekend seems to be a natural evolution of this method.

During the recent weekends I have switched to a 8 hours up, 3-4 hours sleep cycle. Which I run throughout the weekend. 8 up 3-4 down. Seems to work out rather well for me. No tired feeling. Seem to be stable, reflexes nominal, same for thinking patterns. Though it is peppered with 30 min naps in between. (Mostly after meals)

The real trick is the shift over from the Weekday style sleep period into the Weekend sleep period. Otherwise the tiredness will creep up on you. So I usually will frontload on sleep on Friday (If I am not engaged) usually waking up early and starting the 8 up cycle from there. Or I down dump it, and stay up all Friday night until late then begin it from their, but you want to get maybe an extra hour or two of sleep if you do that. Friday work tires you out (Mostly mentally for us office bound, but never look lightly on Mental tiredness!!)

So far transition back to regular weekday sleep cycle is progressing as normal.

As of 4:40pm Monday, after 4 hours of sleep, still wide awake, active and not tired at all. This may be a lull before the 8:00pm storm hits though. These types of things can attack faster than a flash flood.

Will keep you posted as I acquire more data.

No comments:

Post a Comment