Friday, May 21, 2010

Dreams of the Fertile Crescent.

“The difference between a Flower and a Weed is EXACTLY and ONLY this: The Choice of the Gardner” – Vergere

---

Not sure if many people realize this but I am a rather large fan of the Natural Sciences. I enjoy Nature in general terms, its essence, and just to observe it.

Been thinking of actually putting into production some exterior related projects I have been doing some research on.

I feel the need to put some work into my yard lately. I usually just let it grow for a while then cut it down. But you see I perform no maintenance on my yard. I dislike the idea of grass that Floridians devote so many resources and time to.

People don’t like weeds and other native plants. But I find these things actually quite charming. Not to mention they are able to survive the Florida harsh summer with minimal water drain on the total energy system. This is very important. It doesn’t seem like it but Florida’s fresh water resources are rather strained. And the idea of wasting perfectly good potable water on watering a damn lawn is anathema to me. Don’t even get me started on water conservation….but I digress. I know such talk turns some people off. I am a secret environmentalist at heart.

But any way I want to start a few things, a garden, first of all. A spider farm as well (~_^). But that is for another post. What I want to do right now is to start to spruce up my yard. But using mostly local/Florida based plants. Finding sources is not going to be that hard actually. There are many a yard still going untended by our financial collapse. I may have to poach materials from the many foreclosed properties around town. Feeding off of dead men’s dreams as it were (~_^)

But My dream is for my Yard to look like the secret garden. “The secret garden?” You say, “What is that?”

Well the secret garden is a place I found once at work. I was surveying a ladies yard doing an estimate on her house. I needed to get pictures of her exterior of her house. She let me out into the back saying “Please forgive my terrible backyard. It is unkempt. So I expected the worst. What I found as an emerald dream hidden in that worn down neighborhood. It was not the typical backyard of the drone-like “Dad shorts” wearing Sararimen we all become. It was a place of wild growth and beauty. Butterflies and bugs of all types flew about from flower to flower. Bees buzzed about pollinating their charges. (Do you know how rare bees are in our over productized factory yards?) Wild flowers and weeds bloomed everywhere. It spelled incredible too. I told her than she had one of the most beautiful back yards I had ever seen. This poor lady must have thought I was mocking her. (-_-);

That secret garden. This place that exists now only in my picture. Is what I seek to recreate in my own yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment