Thursday, October 21, 2010

TL's Folly. You think you're the worst but your not Zerg Replays.

*Man with dejected eyes sits by the camp fire*

"Have a seat lads. Ol' TL here is gonna tell you all some good old fashioned fables of bad times and good times. Heroes. And terrible scouting, horrible play and matches of pure hilarity and ultimate sadness."

"But why unkie TL?”

“Why You ask... so you can learn from the mistakes of the past my friends. TL's folly"

*Sigh*

---

(I just suffered a horrible lost.... kind of broke my heart. Turned into the catalyst for finally uploading my replays.)

I will post them here so that you can see, that you are not in fact that bad. Prepare for replays of Terrible APM, Non-existent laughable scouting, microphobia, and complacent macro. There are always some one worse than you my friends. But heck you might even learn something!

The real horror? Some of these are wins.

---

What is Star Craft 2?

For the un-initiated, SC2 is a real-time strategy game. It’s very demanding. The multitasking alone is quite taxing on the brain. But the rush of building and controlling your units is unlike any other gaming experience out there. There is technique involved, strategy, tactics, reactions.

Its like Chess on Steroids. 3 races each with unique units and abilities and buildings, you then go up against the other races or the dreaded mirror match up. The game has a story mode, but the true allure is testing your skills online versus other opponents. I am a bronze level player, the lowest level. I get beat a lot but the game is so fun that I LOVE it even when I am struggling. Sometimes tough battles do exhaust the heck out of me and depress me a little. Because many times it’s because I made stupid mistakes that cost me the game, or at least the chance to do good in that game match.

---

Oh joy! Proxy Rax distraction (,_, ) totally throws TL into off balance sloppy play - October 19, 2010

http://screplays.com/replays/terrorandlove/12044

So I send out a overlord to get a looksie at his base. Somehow somewhere in between this interval he snuck a SCV into my base. Takes me totally of guard. Somehow I exize him. Then finish my expansions. He tries more pushes but then I get Corrupters and finally Broodlords. Sloppy Macro them and some how manage to win.

BUT!!!! SPECIAL SURPRISE: Opponent GGs. Hmmm, but thankfully I was so engrossed in my Broodlords grinding his base I dont exit right away. Then I realize he is still in the game and go hunting. Good thing I usually dont just end my games.

Moral of the Story?: FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS GOOD TL USE A PROBE TO SWEEP THE BASE. And its cool to always check that map even if they GG.

---

Worst Zerg Play that actually won a game - October 20, 2010

http://screplays.com/replays/terrorandlove/12042


Standard TL Build (AKA no plan and no scouting) led to a devastating Void Ray attack. Some how managed to keep it together by Turtling with the Zerg. YES turling. Other player was so out of it too he stayed air after I walled off and ended up spending himself out on the defenses. The poor soul.

Why no scouting? I think I figured I could just static defend until I got enough macro to start major pushes. Of course VR come in and my attention is so poo poo I dont even save my workers.

Moral of the Story?: Scout!! And dont trust your static defenses. The enemy can sneak into your base through the smallest margins. He would of won too if he had scouted my Spore Colony traps [yeah yeah I meant to do it..... (~_~) ]

---

Of all my battles and losses. This loss hurt me the most. – 10.21.10 (Ended 1230AM)
The Epic battle of Macro failure.

http://screplays.com/replays/terrorandlove/12039

This was a grueling 1hour and 45 minute game that ended in a really bitter defeat for me.

After earlier losses that day I was doing pretty darn well mentally. Got my expansions down, timing was alright in the beginning. I had my overlords outside scouting his base so I could see when he pushed up. (LOVE patrol function)

I saw he was turtling so I even managed to research drop. I thought I was so cute with those drops. Even had a good army. Which I proceeded to piss away. My static defenses were rather nice also. Since I figured the Air attack was coming. Messed up again by not scouting properly. Managed to pick up 2 more bases. I though I was doing well. Even managed to stop a few raids. Lost my initial base but I had smartly (FOR ONCE) remembered to build backup structures so I could keep producing units.

My main problem I think was ineffectual attacks. I had some good pushes but I attacked expansions when I should have attacked key structures at his main. Not enough harassment at all. Damn looking back on it I just cringe I didn’t know what I was thinking. I guess I was so glad to be in late stages of the game finally, after

I was also filled with over-confidence. I thought because I had 5 bases, with tons of queens I could just attack and outproduce him. Then totally forgot about 1 of his expansions. The Battlecruiser attacks just cost me too much too even if I defeated them. Then before I knew it I had spent myself into the grave, when that’s what I wanted to do to him. SO MANY ADVANTAGES I HAD, I PISSED AWAY.

In the end tried some fancy (I.E. sloppy) spore crawler and spine crawler tricks because I didn’t have enough units to attack anymore. Though maybe finally he ran out of money only to be surprised by a 4 Battlecruiser force.

Finally I conceded. Of all my battles this one broke me a little, because if I had applied pressure instead of being complacent I could bust his force with Brood Lords and Corrupters I might have won. Really messed up on upgrades too. Definitely shouldnt have let him have carte blanche in terms of building what ever he wanted either. It was quite a learning experience in any case. And one of the most epic battles I have had in my short and volatile career.

Moral of the Story?: Even though Zerg are Macro-delicious and you think you have a lead don’t get Complacent. Resources are not finite. Harass, Scout especially late game. Don’t let them gain momentum.

1 comment:

  1. Gooԁ ԁay! Thіs is my first сomment hеre so I just ωаnted to give a quick
    shout out anԁ tell you I genuinеlу enјoy readіng yоur aгtiсles.
    Сan you suggeѕt any οthеr blogѕ/webѕites/forums thаt go over the same ѕubjectѕ?
    Thanκs!

    Also ѵisit my web-sitе; insurance day

    ReplyDelete